GNUCash Import QIF - Help Please!

GT-I9070 H gti9070h at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:59:53 EDT 2015

> Dear GTI,
>
> "Atkins" is my family name, my given name is "Derek".  This is, for
> example, why I sign my messages "-derek" at the end every time.

Ok Derek, excuse me.

I do not know how to refer to people from another country, each country has
its own customs, I tried to be respectful not calling you by your first
name.

> This is a volunteer, open source project.  If you want to see a feature
> you're welcome to add it yourself, and if you think it's useful you're
> welcome to even submit it back for inclusion.  However that would be a
> message for gnucash-devel, not gnucash-user.

I know, people tell me that all the time. This intimidates people to
suggest something for projects.

I do not write code in C and even though I write, I imagine that I would
have to submit my modifications the approval of others and this can not be
approved. There is a problem that seems to be eternal, the migration of a
SW to the other.

> As far as I know, there is no space in the QIF import format for an
> exchange rate.  If you could show us how Quicken would create such a
> transaction (which would imply there *is* space in QIF for it) then we
> could update the QIF importer to accept it.  But right now, there's just
> no field in QIF that supplies an exchange rate for currency transactions
> and re-using one would be wrong (as would be creating one out of thin

air).

I studied a little QIF format and as far as I know, which is not a lot,
there isn't a field for exchange rate and I never used Quicken.

The fact GnuCash not import exchange rates of any file format is a major
problem that must be solved someday and that day may be coming.

My suggestion is to create a field in the QIF file that does not affect
existing and pass the call this QIF format changed to another name as Eg
QIG (QIF to GnuCash Exchange rate import) and enable the import of this new
field in GnuCash importer for QIG format.

So you will have already created an entryway for off-line exchange rate
data!

What do you think?

> Perhaps you might be better off just starting over?  Keep your
> historical records where they are, and enter new data directly into
> gnucash instead of trying to import them?

I'm already with my data well fragmented and would not want to create
another fragment.

Regards
GTI