lock files are not getting deleted

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Jun 30 04:05:55 EDT 2015

On Monday 29 June 2015 20:16:40 L. D. James wrote:
> In that case you might have some type of corruption issue with your
> directory or files in that directory.
>
> As far as I know, a gnucash datafile will have a *.gnucash extension.
> The example files you have in your books directory don't have the
> proper extension.  I would look at that as a culprit.

Thanks James for helping scar to debug this issue. In this case I think
Tommy Trussell's reply is closer to the real cause.

I've chosen to reply still to clear up some confusion about the use of
the file extension:
GnuCash doesn't really care about the file extension. It's there mostly
for your OS' file manager (Windows Explorer, Dolphin, OS X Finder?,
Gnome Nautilus, ...) to know which application to launch when a user
double-clicks on a file. With the .gnucash extension the file manager
knows it should launch the gnucash application. Without this extension,
you will be asked which application you want to use to open that file.

With gnucash most people won't encounter this, because they simply open
gnucash itself, which in turn will automatically open the most recently
used file. For most people that's the only file.

Older versions of gnucash didn't even propose the extension when saving
a new book. That was changed at some point to improve the integration
with file managers.

Regards,

Geert