GnuCash: how to enter the purchase of a corporate bond with accrued interest

Alice Lee alee212007 at satx.rr.com
Sat Mar 7 18:59:10 EST 2015

You made an entry 12/31 with a credit to interest income of $10, a debit to
Interest Receivable of $5 and a debit to cash of $5.  When you receive the
interest, the entry should be debit cash $10, credit Interest Receivable $5
and credit interest income $5.  Change your 12/31 entry and that will
correct your balance sheet.

When you bought the bond the debit to interest receivable was $5 now the
account will be zeroed out when you receive the interest and this would
leave you with the amount of income you actually received which was $5.