Setting up gnucash to use postgesql back end - close but no cigar ...

Michael Wagner mikepwagner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 22:42:16 EDT 2015

I have an ubuntu laptop at home that I would like to set up to use as a
personal financial machine. I'd like to use postgrsql as my backend. The
ubuntu in question is 14.04

I am new to both postgres and gnu cash, and I am confused as to where
the disconnect is.

Reading manuals and websites, I've installed postgres 9.3, and added a
user with the same name as my login. I can login and create and
manipulate a database (create tables, etc). I can even create a
"gnucash" db, and create some of the same tables that gnucash creates.

When I try to create a "new file" in gnu cash and save, it, I have been
using my login user credentials. The "Save As..." window has
"Host:localhost" Database:gnucahsh", and I use my loging  my
("Username:michael",and password).

When I do all that, gnucash says "The server at URL
postgres://michael@localhost/gnucash experienced an error or encountered
bad or corrupt data."

If I look in the postgres log, it says:

2015-03-08 22:35:54 EDT FATAL:  password authentication failed for user
"michael"
2015-03-08 22:35:54 EDT DETAIL:  Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 92:
"host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32 md5"
2015-03-08 22:35:54 EDT FATAL:  password authentication failed for user
"michael"
2015-03-08 22:35:54 EDT DETAIL:  Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 92:
"host    all             all             127.0.0.1/32 md5"

I think that means that gnucash and postgres are using different
authentication mechanisms. I am pretty clueless about this, but I think
that "md5" and  "ident" are two different auithentication mechanisms.

Is that correct?

Do I need to do soomething my postgres pg_hba.conf file to enable a
different authentication mechanism? Do I need to change something about
gnucash?

Thanks,

Mike