Report to find missing check numbers

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Mar 10 09:45:51 EDT 2015

Has anyone requested or found a way to get a report to find missing
check numbers? This is a report that I use often in Quickbooks to make
sure I didn't forget to enter in a check, or to look for potential
data entry problems.
I would just highlight the last check number that I see in the account
register then change the View > Sort by to by check number.  That works
pretty well for me.

David C

That's a volume issue, one thing to eyeball for a missing number if you have 20 checks in the time interval being inspected but another matter if that is 200 or 2000.

However it should be noted that not all transactions in the (checking) account would have check numbers. I don't know about your organization and its bank account, but for one of mine not only deposits (obviously no check number) but a "bank card" which the secretary uses for on-line transactions and there could be other electronic (no check) transactions.

So I do this manually when I have the bank statement. But my volumes are low (very low). If I had a large volume not sure what I would do (remember, the bank card transactions done by an organizational secretary I MIGHT not know about until I get the bank statement, deposits by her, any direct transactions, etc.

Michale D Novack, FLMI

PS: Only applies to one of my organizations. The others, also very low volume, would have not transactions except by myself.