Inventory and Sales

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Mar 11 20:25:32 EDT 2015

> On Mar 12, 2015, at 1:08 AM, ssmusoke <ssmusoke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> YeOldHinnerk,
>
> I am using GnuCash for a farming enterprise so the common stock has a
> quantity but not a price, as the price is only determined at point of sale
> to a customer.
>
> What makes it more complicated is that the stock is sold to different
> customers at different unit prices, therefore I cannot assign a fixed price
> to the stock at hand.

That's OK. You value your inventory at cost until sale; the difference between cost and price is your gross margin. GnuCash is capable of doing the accounting, including carrying inventory, it's just that everything must be done by hand. You're probably better off with an ERP program [1] that will handle more of it programmatically.

That said, since you didn't know how to carry the value of your inventory you need to either study up on accounting or hire someone to set things up for you.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ERP_software_packages