Inventory and Sales

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 21:38:19 EDT 2015

Actually it’s different in farming.  In our jurisdiction we have a fair amount of flexibility in how we value inventory - it’s supposed to be "fair market value” which can only be truly established at the time of sale.  For products we bought it's easy and generally correct to use the purchase price.  However for products we grew it’s more like what the (estimated) selling price will be times the (possibly estimated) amount of the product, less the cost that stands between now and selling it.

In the US there are four ways of valuing farm inventory,  and which one makes sense will depend on the farming operation.  Only one of them is cost.