Inventory and Sales

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 16:49:59 EDT 2015

Thu, 12 Mar 2015 21:38:19
<24290E8C-9F24-4FE1-A0E6-544D331D9214 at gmail.com>  R. Victor Klassen
<rvklassen at gmail.com>

>Actually it’s different in farming.  In our jurisdiction we have a
>fair amount of flexibility in how we value inventory - it’s supposed
>to be "fair market value” which can only be truly established at the
>time of sale.  For products we bought it's easy and generally correct
>to use the purchase price.  However for products we grew it’s more
>like what the (estimated) selling price will be times the (possibly
>estimated) amount of the product, less the cost that stands between now
>and selling it.

I'm purposefully avoiding jurisdiction and what anyone is actually
farming.  There be subsidies, kickbacks and other dragons.

>In the US there are four ways of valuing farm inventory,  and which one
>makes sense will depend on the farming operation.  Only one of them is
>cost.

Could this be (another) use for gnc's XXX which can be used for the
purchase, sale and indeed creation (via Equity) of arbitrary amounts and
values of most anything?

I wouldn't recommend gnc for

Spring, sow 50kg seed
Summer, draw water from well
Autumn, sell 5000 loaves

type transactions unless it was primarily about money in which case
previous discussions about keeping a set of transactions together might
apply.

--
Wm...