Report: Balance Sheet (et. al.)

YeOldHinnerk HRamthun at gmx.de
Wed Mar 18 08:51:38 EDT 2015

Hi,

I was playing with the balance sheet report options today a bit. What I
wanted was to remove the short-term liab accounts from the report. Of course
without changing the sum of the parent(-placeholder) account of short term
liabs.

It turns out that:
1. As the short term liab accounts are the same level as some other accounts
I do want to see, I can not (solely) use the tree level for selection.
2. If I keep the current level, but deselect the individual short term liabs
accounts, the parent account of short-term liabs gets a sum of zero. I
verfied this with the various options concerning higher level accounts and
amount-zero settings. I didn't find a combination that fixed this.

So, in short, selecting the accounts in options does not only change which
accounts I see in the report, but also what the sum of my balance sheet is.
I think there is quite some danger in this - what happens if someone
customized the accounts to be shown and then adds an account? He may forget
to add it to the report, not showing a wrong balance sheet.

In the title I wrote "et.al." since I wouldn't be surprised if this same
behavior appears in other reports as well, e.g. income statement. I didn't
try this though.

So my questions are:
1. Is this behehavior intended?
2. Did I overlook the proper way of achieving what I wanted?

Best,

YeOldHinnerk