Income & Expense - filtered

Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash5 at numerixtechnology.de
Thu Mar 19 02:44:29 EDT 2015

Dear Michael,

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 22:45:27 -0400
Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

>On 3/17/2015 8:07 PM, Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
>> Is there any way I can create an Income & Expense report where I can
>> filter out transactions from filter accounts (like the option in the
>> Transaction Report)?
>
>[...]
>
>if you really do mean filtering TRANSACTIONS out of some ledger
>account, explain what you might want that for (why you don't recognize
>that as failure to define the COA correctly with some of the
>transactions now in an account in a child of the account and the
>others in a different child.
>[...]
>
>Michael

The accounts are set up for the purposes of a political campaign.

There are two different ways of looking at the accounts:

1) Income & Expense for internal purposes - just considering REAL money
(how much money is in the pot to spend)

2) Individual Income and Expense Transaction Reports to report
donations and spending to the authorities

The latter include notional transactions. For example, a donor pays for
an advert; or I have to account for existing poster boards notianally;
neither affect the real budget.

I put the notional expenses against Liabilities.Notional.
Your argument is that I should create a child expense account:
Expenses.Advertising.Notional
so I can select and deselect the expense accounts for the I&E report.

However, I have half a dozen expense categories (accommodation,
transport, advertising, ...) times 3 campaign phases, so would need up
to 18 notional child accounts. And on the transaction account the
notional expenses would appear in a separate account, which is
undesirable.
--
Elisabeth