[Linux, command line] Importing transactions from bank account data file, into a gnucash account

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Mar 20 03:40:30 EDT 2015

On Thursday 19 March 2015 15:58:24 geo909 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to write a linux script that imports the transactions
> from a bank account data file to an existing gnucash account.
>
> The bank account data file can be a quicken, quickbooks, excel, ms
> money, simply accounting, ascii, or qif file.
>
> I don't mind if the imported transactions show as "Imbalanced", as
> long as everything is done from the command line, and without running
> the gnucash gui.
>
> I don't have the words to describe how convenient that would be! I'd
> appreciate any suggestions.

Hi,

Since you are on linux the python bindings may be what you are looking for. They may not
be enabled by default on your distribution so you may have to build gnucash yourself.

>From there you can write a python script that parses your input file and creates transactions
from it. You can study the example scripts [1] to get you started.

Regards,

Geert

[1] https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/maint/src/optional/python-bindings/example_scripts