[Linux, command line] Importing transactions from bank account data file, into a gnucash account

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 02:44:02 EDT 2015

I had a quick look at Expect and related tools this evening. As far as I
can tell, Expect is frozen in 1995 and still can only deal with
command-line oriented applications for the most part. Expect lookalikes in
Perl, Java, Python, etc., have similar limitations.

There are some tools for sending input (keystrokes or mouse clicks) to
graphical applications, but the open source-type tools seem to be limited
in their ability to parse the application's output. If you find a way to do
what you want by always playing the same sequence of keystrokes to GnuCash,
it looks like xdotool or a similar application may work.