Recording all purchases under a vendor???

nssimpson nick.simpson at devilprinters.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 05:26:32 EDT 2015

Hi

I'm a complete accounting newbie and have been recording all my business
transactions within Excel. My accountant and bookkeeper are happy with this
but I've decided to move into the 21st century so have installed GNUCash.

I am VAT registered so always need to account for that. I believe I have
correctly configured that part so when posting bills and invoices it does
correctly splits the total value and record the VAT element in the VAT
liabilities sub-account.

Around half of my vendors require immediate payment before shipping any
goods so I either pay them on card or bank transfer. Now when I get their
invoice should I be recording it as a vendor bill and posting it so it
appears in accounts payable and then immediately setting it to paid? I've
been reading help documentation and watching YouTube tutorials and some
people simply enter them straight into an expenses sub-account rather than
doing this so I'm a bit confused.

I also have the same question about customers that pay upfront but I'm
guessing the best way of recording those is to record under customer
invoice, posting it and recording it as paid.

Then when it comes to office purchases, do I record the invoices I get from
say Amazon as a vendor bill or do I simply enter them into an expenses
sub-account?

I have read that reports differ depending on how things are logged but I'm
just a bit lost at the minute. I don't understand when I should enter
transactions directly within a sub-account.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Nick