Compile Guncash

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Fri Mar 27 00:48:16 EDT 2015

The directory you (possibly) created is:

/usr/bin/gnucash/to

I say possibly because the build script may not be able to create
directories or create chained directories (/usr/bin doesn't have a
directory called "gnucash" by default so it would have to create that
first then create the "to" directory).

In any event, executable binaries installed by the end user (meaning not
the standard or low level programs provided in the core distribution)
typically go into /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

Installation via tarball typically varies on the program.  Most tarballs
contain a few README or INSTALL files that describe what is needed.
However, the general operation is:

1. Ensure all needed development libraries are installed.  Note that
this is different from just having a library installed.  For example,
one common library is called "libc".  It comes in two different
packages.  One is just "libc" which installs the library itself.  The
other is "libc-dev" or "libc-devel" which are all the source code for
the libc library.  The compiler needs the source code to the library.
This is often the first tripping point.

2.  Follow the instructions if available.  Most of the instructions will
not say anything about the development libraries but it will explain
some compile options for the specific application.  Even if there are no
instructions, you then move on to the next step.

3.  Nearly everything uses ./configure to preconfigure the compile
options.  In most cases you can simply issue ./configure with no other
command line options and it will work.  Unless you have a specific need
to change the defaults it's best to never issue command line options to
./configure and let it figure out what needs to happen.  This is the
time when missing development libraries are discovered.  The configure
script will abort with an error.  Obtain the missing library and restart
the configure script.

4.  Run make once the configure script has completed successfully.  Not
much to do here except to issue the single command "make".  However,
read the instructions available in case there is a specific option
(called a "make target").  Usually a bare "make" is all that's needed to
compile.

5.  Test the application.  The final binary is located within the source
code directory tree, often it's in the same directory sometimes it's in
a subdirectory called 'bin'.  You can run it right from that location
without installing.  If it executes then everything is good.

6. Once everything is good, run "make install" to install the files as
needed (note that the "install" keyword is a make target itself).

As for places to read other than the program's own README and INSTALL
files there isn't that much.  What I wrote above is what you'll get out
of a basic Google search for "compiling programs on Linux".  It's the
same basic steps, there may be finer details that are specific to
individual applications but those are the absolute fundamentals.