Recording all purchases under a vendor???

nssimpson nick.simpson at devilprinters.co.uk
Fri Mar 27 06:04:47 EDT 2015

Hi Geert

I can confirm that no remaining payments are showing there

Now I have to figure out when not to log purchases under a vendor. For
instance...

I ordered a copier from a vendor (manufacturer), which I sold to a customer.
I've correctly accounted for that.

The vendor was unable to get hold of a particular accessory in time so
agreed to reimburse me the cost of having to buy it elsewhere if I sent them
an invoice. I've therefore bought the accessory from a none VAT registered
private seller on eBay.

So firstly do I set the vendor as customer within gnucash and generate an
invoice?

Also since I probably won't be buying from this eBay seller again would I be
right not to add them as a vendor? Should I manually enter the payment I
made to them into the expenses account I've called "Distribution" or should
I create another one and call it something like "One-off Purchases"?

If I do manually enter the payment I made to the eBay seller into an expense
account do I simply set it so the money came out of my checking account or
is there some other stuff I'll need to do?

Thanks

Nick