Compile Guncash

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Fri Mar 27 14:18:36 EDT 2015

On 2015-03-27 09:25, Dennis Powless wrote:
> I had read the readme file and was not very helpful.
>
> I had entered the command.   ./configure but got errors.  I want to say it
> was the target, but later when I had stated the target it worked.
>
> Why does the above mentioned wiki have me make a .deb file, when others
> don't.  This didn't work.
>
> Checkinstall vs make install
>
> Thanks for the info,  very helpful

I don't understand why the tarball insists on making a .deb (or if the
wiki is confused and suggests it makes one when the tarball really
doesn't).  Most of the time when compiling from a tarball the binaries
are made directly (no deb's) and installed directly.  If the tarball
really is making a deb then I suspect it's to ensure that gnucash shows
up in the package manager.

I personally don't make my own debs so I would be treating the tarball
like any other, generating the binaries and installing them directly
while bypassing the package manager.  I also don't use Ubuntu so I can't
comment on any idiosyncrasies of that distribution concerning software
compiling and installation.  All of my systems are much more stripped down.

What errors did you receive when you used plain ./configure?  That's
important.  If the configure worked, there would be a screenful of
configuration tests and the final status.  If the make worked, you
should have had a screenful of messages about all phases of the make
process.