Allowances (reimburseable expenses)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Mar 29 10:21:25 EDT 2015

On 3/29/2015 6:52 AM, Jill Terry wrote:
> I incur costs throughout the year for a club, for which I am
> reimbursed, such as petrol or phone allowance.
>
> I have a current asset account (reimbursable expense) for those items
> paid out solely for the club - easy as I have an outgoing expense from
> bank account.
>
> But how do I deal with, say, mileage allowance received?
>
> Cheers
> Jill

We can probably give you suggestions. But you should realize that what
you are asking isn't a gnucash question. You would have the exact same
question no matter how you were keeping your (double entry) books, even
the old fashioned way, pen and ink on paper. And if you did know how you
wanted to enter this transaction (what accounts, etc.) for that method
of keeping books, you'd have no question how to do it using gnucash.
That said .......

Do you have accounts related to automobile expenses? In effect, this
mileage reimbursement is a reduction of your personal automobile
expenses. You could add a "contra" account under that parent for
"non-personal use reimbursement" and use that for the other side of the
transaction.

Michael