Allowances (reimburseable expenses)

Jill Terry zen148517 at zen.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 12:47:34 EDT 2015

On 29/03/2015 15:21, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 3/29/2015 6:52 AM, Jill Terry wrote:
>> I incur costs throughout the year for a club, for which I am
>> reimbursed, such as petrol or phone allowance.
>> I have a current asset account (reimbursable expense) for those items
>> paid out solely for the club - easy as I have an outgoing expense
>> from bank account.
>> But how do I deal with, say, mileage allowance received?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jill
>
> We can probably give you suggestions. But you should realize that what
> you are asking isn't a gnucash question. You would have the exact same
> question no matter how you were keeping your (double entry) books,
> even the old fashioned way, pen and ink on paper. And if you did know
> how you wanted to enter this transaction (what accounts, etc.) for
> that method of keeping books, you'd have no question how to do it
> using gnucash. That said .......
>
> Do you have accounts related to automobile expenses? In effect, this
> mileage reimbursement is a reduction of your personal automobile
> expenses. You could add a "contra" account under that parent for
> "non-personal use reimbursement" and use that for the other side of
> the transaction.
>
> Michael

Yes, Sorry Mike, I'm not with it today!  I was asking for suggestions :D

That could work, but it's not always for just one item, it could be
combined for, say, petrol, phone and postage.   I suppose I could just
make up an amount for each account, unless anybody else has any
suggestions? :)

Cheers
Jill

---