Account Hierarchy questions

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 11:09:32 EDT 2015

I have a few questions about account hierarchy.

First, if one has several brokerage accounts, one can either use the
structure Asset:Taxable:Brokerage:Security or
Asset:Taxable:Security:Brokerage.

I think that for this part of the account tree the first structure is
preferred, largely because it better matches the statements I get from
the brokerage houses, but I want other opinions.

Second, is Income:Investment:Taxable:Brokerage:Div/Cap_Gain or
Income:Investment:Taxable:Div/Cap_Gain:Brokerage to be preferred?

For income and expense I like the second structure because I think it
would work better for other things like Income:Salary:Employer vs
Income:Employer:Salary.

Third, am I placing the taxable/tax deferred distinction in the best place?

What do you think?

David C