Transfer of .gnucash folder from SSD system disc to HDD data disc

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 18:11:17 EDT 2015

On 3/29/2015 3:54 PM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> Stop folks. I think Russellji is reporting  a bug. Take a look at what
> he is saying he did and let's for a moment assume that he did that
> correctly BUT .............
>

> "I am a newby to this forum and GnuCash.
>
> I have recently upgraded to a new Windows 8.1 system with a SSD drive
> devoted to programs and a HDD drive for data.  When I installed
> GnuCash, it
> automatically placed the data files to C:\Users\Russellji even though
> I had
> changed my library and user locations to the HDD previously.  In fact it
> created the user Russellji as it had already been transferred to the HDD.
>
> So I cut and pasted the GnuCash folder from c:users\Russellji\.gnucash to
> D:\Users\Russellji\.gnucash and restarted the GnuCash program and it
> recreated c:users\Russellji\.gnucash!"
>
> In other words, logged in as user Russellji he opened gnucash, and
> gnucash not finding a directory C:\Users\Russellji\.gnucash the
> program created those directories. Normal for the program to do the
> first time coming up (well it expects the directories C:\Users and
> C:\Users\username to already exist --- but obviously coping with the
> surprise). In other words, not finding C:\Users it didn't check to see
> if there was a :\Users on some other drive ---- in this case, the D
> drive.
>
> At least that's what I think is going west here, that gnucash is
> assuming a Windows OS will NOT be partitioned. Or that while it might
> be partitioned in some regards, it won't be as far as :\Users is
> concerned.
>
> I think we need a developer with Windows 8 and multiple drives to
> check this out.
>

> Michael

> decided (correc

I hope that we have not left Russellji too confused with all these
comments, because each one contains one or more valid points.  The ones
about keeping the data file (and backups) in user space are very important.

If GnuCash actually does not play nice with the prefs in this scenario,
that either is a bug or a not recommended scenario just as multiple
users opening the same data file or multiple instances of GnuCash
opening several data files at once are possible but not recommended.

Until there has been more testing, I would suggest that Russellji let
GnuCash keep the prefs on the 'C' drive as, no doubt, a few other third
party programs probably also do.  Prefs files do not change frequently
like data.  Some of mine have not changed in years.  However, keep the
data and backups where-ever he wants, possibly even in the cloud, if
(s)he is comfortable with the security trade-offs that would entail.
Does that work?

I would be interested in finding out if the method that AC found a link
to  actually works well, or if it is just more noise.  Since I cannot
test that, my interest is purely intellectual.

David C