Transfer of .gnucash folder from SSD system disc to HDD data disc

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Mar 29 22:21:00 EDT 2015

If GnuCash actually does not play nice with the prefs in this scenario,
that either is a bug or a not recommended scenario just as multiple
users opening the same data file or multiple instances of GnuCash
opening several data files at once are possible but not recommended.

Sorry, but the second (multiple users using guncash at the same time,
each with different data) has to be considered NORMAL.    OK, I admit,
probably very few of the 'nix users are actually using their computers
for multiple simultaneous users logged in, but the OS would support it.
Nor would it screw up the gnucash data because EACH USER HAS A SEPARATE
DATA AREA. This is not unrelated to the main question

There is some serious confusion about the problem. It isn't just the
prefs we are talking about but ALL of the users data.

It may well be that Russellji is mistaken about having been able to MOVE
/Users out of the C partition. But if he has, then something has gone
seriously wrong. I know I said we need a Windows 8.1 person, but surely
there are some 'nix people here familiar with the concept that /User
could be placed  somewhere else. And maybe we can walk Russellji through
what would answer the question.

Russellji, could you do something?  I want you to create a test account
on your computer (another log in). Give it a name like Testuser. Then I
want you to log in as an administrator and take a look. What are the
directories (file folders) in C:/Users and what in D:/Users    << if he
gets C:/Users/Testuser then he was mistaken about having been able to
relocate /Users but if he gets D:/Users/Testuser then gnucash is bugged
relative to Windows 8.1 << if /Users is relocated >>

Michael D Novack

PS: I am not totally unfamiliar with bugs in the configuration routines.
For example, at least under Windows XP, there are perfectly legal
account names (log in names) that will not allow configuration data to
be saved. OK, the fix is simple, rename your log in account to something
so that gnucash won't think there are illegal characters in the path
name. But it IS nevertheless a bug.