Transfer of .gnucash folder from SSD system disc to HDD data disc

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Mar 30 09:44:03 EDT 2015

We are having a problem, talking about different things

> Hi, Michael.  The question of multiple user access at the same time
> isn't a part of the question.  It isn't available in any of the OS' at
> this time.  That is common knowledge.  It isn't a multi-user application.

No, in the sense that I was using "multiuser" (multiple users on a
computer) gnucash IS multi-user. What is NOT supported is multiple users
sharing gnucash DATA at the same time. In the normal multiuser
environment (multiple users on a computer) each has a distinct data
area, NOT shared. Gnucash does allow multiple users to use the PROGRAM
at the same time.

I think the conceptual problem is that many of us only have experience
with PERSONAL computers. Never worked in the world in which many users
were logged in to the same (larger) machine at the same time. Even
almost all of us using a 'nix operating system like linux are not using
it to handle multiple (simultaneous) users, but the 'nix operating
systems would support this*.

> That said, the question has to do only with specifying where the files
> are located.  As far as the directory structure (i.e.
> c:\users\username), both Windows 7 and Windows 8 are the same in that
> regard.  It a person weren't sure, they should be able to tell by
> Russellji's post.  He had a c:\users\Russellji\.gnucash. He moved the
> directory, then it was recreated.  It doesn't matter where he puts the
> directory.  If it exists in his home directory, that profile
> configuration would be used.  If it doesn't exist (as in the case
> where he moved it) it'd be created.
>
> -- L. James

Sorry, but THAT remains to be determined, because NOT what Rusellji said
he had done. Yes I know, the DEFAULT location of the /Users directory is
on the C drive in both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and AFAIK that can't be
changed in Windows 7. But I don't KNOW that it can't be changed in
Windows 8. For all I know Windows 8 supports partitioning of drives and
spreading the file system across that (the way any 'nix operating system
would). If he simply moved /Users to the D drive and when Windows next
came up it recreated /Users on the C drive he didn't manage to do what
he thought he had done.

I was going by the PURPOSE he described and what he had said he had done.

That's why I suggested Russellji carry out the simple experiment of
seeing whether he had actually managed to RELOCATE /Users or had just
made a copy onto a different drive that Windows was ignoring.

Michael

* To avoid questions about what hardware might be required for that,
imagine that we have two people, one logged on at the computer
(physically sitting there) and one using a remote log in (from some
other computer, in effect, acting as a terminal emulator for a session
running on that first machine. Like when I was woken up in the middle of
the night because a programmer was stumped, and instead of dressing and
driving 50 miles to the office, logged in from home.

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.