Transfer of .gnucash folder from SSD system disc to HDD data disc

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Mar 30 10:45:30 EDT 2015

On Monday 30 March 2015 09:44:03 Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> We are having a problem, talking about different things
>
> > Hi, Michael.  The question of multiple user access at the same time
> > isn't a part of the question.  It isn't available in any of the OS'
> > at this time.  That is common knowledge.  It isn't a multi-user
> > application.
> No, in the sense that I was using "multiuser" (multiple users on a
> computer) gnucash IS multi-user. What is NOT supported is multiple
> users sharing gnucash DATA at the same time. In the normal multiuser
> environment (multiple users on a computer) each has a distinct data
> area, NOT shared. Gnucash does allow multiple users to use the
> PROGRAM at the same time.
>
> I think the conceptual problem is that many of us only have experience
> with PERSONAL computers. Never worked in the world in which many
> users were logged in to the same (larger) machine at the same time.
> Even almost all of us using a 'nix operating system like linux are
> not using it to handle multiple (simultaneous) users, but the 'nix
> operating systems would support this*.
>
> > That said, the question has to do only with specifying where the
> > files are located.  As far as the directory structure (i.e.
> > c:\users\username), both Windows 7 and Windows 8 are the same in
> > that
> > regard.  It a person weren't sure, they should be able to tell by
> > Russellji's post.  He had a c:\users\Russellji\.gnucash. He moved
> > the
> > directory, then it was recreated.  It doesn't matter where he puts
> > the directory.  If it exists in his home directory, that profile
> > configuration would be used.  If it doesn't exist (as in the case
> > where he moved it) it'd be created.
> >
> > -- L. James
>
> Sorry, but THAT remains to be determined, because NOT what Rusellji
> said he had done. Yes I know, the DEFAULT location of the /Users
> directory is on the C drive in both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and AFAIK
> that can't be changed in Windows 7.
It can be. I have done it in the past. Here are a few pointers:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=windows+7+move+profile+directory&t=ffsb

Sometimes it's useful to do some research before starting lengthy
discussions that stray away more and more from the original question.
(Yes it's partly related, no it's not bringing us efficiently closer to
a useful answer for Russellji).

I'll just wait for Russellji now to try and digest all that has been
said, and ask more questions if all this didn't solve his issue yet.

Geert