Allowances (reimburseable expenses)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Mar 30 09:56:51 EDT 2015

On 3/30/2015 2:12 AM, Jill Terry wrote:
> Thank you Michael.
>
> Yes, I KNOW it is not a gnucash question, but this group has been
> helpful to others with accounting questions in the past and that is
> why I posted here in the hope that somebody else does a similar thing
> and could share how they do it.   I am glad you were polite, there
> really is no need to be rude :)
>
> Yes, as I am also Treasurer of the said club, I totally agree with you
> and I too demand an expense sheet and receipts before paying expenses.
> However, as you asked ;)  here is my situation:
>
> I am given an annual allowance to cover incidental costs throughout
> the year.  It used to be an honorarium, however, after checking with
> tax office, club members voted to change it to expenses (I voted
> against that!).   No paperwork is generated and it is not for specific
> expenses.
>
> Unless I hear of a better way, for now I have simply made an expense
> account called "reimbursed expenses".
>
> Thanks for your  help
>
> Cheers
> Jill

Now I am really confused. You are cutting a check to reimburse yourself
for (personal expenditures on behalf of the club, mileage on behalf of
the club) and you don't know how much of that reimbursement was for
what? Isn't that a matter of you keeping some record? (and then sending
this memo to yourself).

Try imagining yourself wearing two hats, Jill Person and Jill Treasurer.
How would this be handled were you separate people? What information
would Jill Person be required to keep and then send to Jill Treasurer to
justify the reimbursement? Assume that Jill Person kept a copy. Wouldn't
that information allow her to enter the reimbursement transaction into
her personal books just as it allowed Jill Treasurer to properly
allocate the expenses in the club books?

Michael

PS: When you spend personal money on behalf of the club that is a
transfer between asset accounts. When you receive a reimbursement that
is again a transfer between asset accounts. Your initial question was
what to do about some portion of the reimbursement that was NOT for cash
you had laid out (the mileage reimbursement, a reduction in a personal
expense).