Allowances (reimburseable expenses)

Jill Terry jill at babrees.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 02:12:28 EDT 2015

Thank you Michael.

Yes, I KNOW it is not a gnucash question, but this group has been
helpful to others with accounting questions in the past and that is why
I posted here in the hope that somebody else does a similar thing and
could share how they do it.   I am glad you were polite, there really is
no need to be rude :)

Yes, as I am also Treasurer of the said club, I totally agree with you
and I too demand an expense sheet and receipts before paying expenses.
However, as you asked ;)  here is my situation:

I am given an annual allowance to cover incidental costs throughout the
year.  It used to be an honorarium, however, after checking with tax
office, club members voted to change it to expenses (I voted against
that!).   No paperwork is generated and it is not for specific expenses.

Unless I hear of a better way, for now I have simply made an expense
account called "reimbursed expenses".

Thanks for your  help

Cheers
Jill

On 30/03/2015 02:25, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

> THAT is most definitely not a gnucash question. There is no way the
> computer could be any better at reading the mind of the person who
> sent you the reimbursement as to how much was supposed to be for what.
>
> Look, I don't get reimbursements, I make them. If one of the "orchard
> managers" sent me a request for reimbursement for "things purchased"
> but didn't tell me how much of that was for fertilizer, how much for
> fencing materials, how much for irrigation materials, etc.(*)  he or
> she would get an immediate email asking for clarification (and I
> wouldn't cut the check till I had the information).
>
> Here you are on the check receiving end so will have to be polite. I
> do have a question though. You presumably submitted some paperwork for
> this reimbursement asking so much for this, so much for that, so many
> miles, etc. Isn't that going to help you out? Or does the
> reimbursement received not match your paperwork?
>
> Michael
>

> (*) Those would all be different expense categories in the books. And
> yes, I'd have the receipts, but that not necessarily very informative.
> I might be able to see where purchased and what, but knowing "hardware
> store stuff" doesn't tell me if that hardware was for the orchard gate
> (fencing) or mounting a pump (irrigation) or mounting an orchard sign
> (signage).

---