Transfer of .gnucash folder from SSD system disc to HDD data disc

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 10:48:06 EDT 2015

On 3/29/2015 9:39 PM, L. D. James wrote:
> On 03/29/2015 10:21 PM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
>> If GnuCash actually does not play nice with the prefs in this
>> scenario, that either is a bug or a not recommended scenario just as
>> multiple users opening the same data file or multiple instances of
>> GnuCash opening several data files at once are possible but not
>> recommended.
>>
>> Sorry, but the second (multiple users using guncash at the same time,
>> each with different data) has to be considered NORMAL. OK, I admit,
>> probably very few of the 'nix users are actually using their
>> computers for multiple simultaneous users logged in, but the OS would
>> support it.  Nor would it screw up the gnucash data because EACH USER
>> HAS A SEPARATE DATA AREA. This is not unrelated to the main question

Let me clarify.  When I said " multiple instances of GnuCash opening
several data files at once" I was referring to a single user opening
multiple instances of GnuCash with different data files in the same user
space.  That is not recommended because the same prefs files are used
and GnuCash will shoot itself in the foot when the program is closed.
It is difficult to remember to explicitly declare all the pertinent
details each time I try to describe a scenario.
It is mind boggling sometimes when trying to figure out all the
different ways computers can be used to accomplish essentially the same
simple task.