Compile Guncash

CCAAT ccaat at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Mar 30 13:07:59 EDT 2015

On 03/30/2015 10:41 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On Monday 30 March 2015 16:28:10 Colin Law wrote:
>> I accidentally sent this only to Tommy.  Sorry Tommy.
>>
>> On 28 March 2015 at 21:36, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In principle you are right, that there should be generic sections
>>> and
>>> specific, however there is also much to be said for a section for
>>> each version of Ubuntu (or whatever) that just gives simple cut and
>>> paste instructions for building the current version with the
>>> default options, even though that does lead to duplicated text.  As
>>> soon as you start having:  Do this for any version of Ubuntu, then
>>> do this if it is version x, or this if it is version y, then do
>>> this whichever version it is, it gets much for difficult to follow.
>>>
>>> Colin
>
> A can see the value of this as well. I agree that having to jump up and
> down in order to get gnucash built on your system is suboptimal.
>
> The downside of this approach is that it's much harder to manage. My
> experience with duplicated text is that it inevitably ends up with some
> parts being completely out of date or fixes only applied to some and not
> to others.
>
> I don't know what's best to be honest.
>
> Perhaps we could create a git repository for build instructions, where
> there is a base instruction set and each specific set comes is
> maintained in a separate branch ? One branch per distro/release. I know
> just using the word git already scares some people off. On the other
> hand git has solved the interdependency issue as good as I can
> imagine...
>
> Just thoughts that could lead to even better ideas...
>
> Geert

Excellent idea. That is exactly what we have figured out at Gentoo.
All repositories are moving to git. Users can have their own git repo
for package development or sourcecode development [1]. Each dev has
their own repo [2].

If a user puts up for fixes a few packages, then they can start
the journey to becoming one of those world recognized developers,
and they get an gentoo dev or gentoo project team to mentor
them as they master the skils, via our proxy maintainer project [3].

But the coolest recent development at gentoo, is anyone can launch
there own (gentoo_ish) linux distro on a usb stick, that is able
is easily modified so the latest codes and anything on included
on the usb image. We refer to this as persistence, and anyone can
have just the codes needed for a team to develop software where everyone
shares exactly what you have on the latest usb image. You do not even
have to delete your existing distro as all of your work and an entire
bootable Linux_OS, including 100% sources, is all on one usb stick.

Check it out! [5,6]

Gentoo aims to make *everybody* a bad_ass code developer. The folks
that put chrome_OS and core_OS are just a few to the gentoo
grand_children running about all puff up!

But the best thing about gentoo, is the immense expertise that helps
each other, and folks just want to give back. It is also a wonderful
distro for college kids as they develop their skills and move into
high paying jobs; because they understand full-stack and become quite
prolific in all matter of linux.

hth,
James

[1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/user/