Best practices for data import

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue May 5 07:09:38 EDT 2015

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing your experiment.
It illustrates what the gnucash developers have always been loud and
clear about: don't alter gnucash data outside of the gnucash api !

The database is only a data store. None of the business logic rules are
stored in there. So if you make modifications outside of gnucash and
don't take care of *all* data inter-dependencies yourself you are bound
to run into problems as your experiment illustrated.

Currently the python bindings are probably the best way to manipulate
gnucash data if you don't want to use the gnucash gui.

Apart from that you can also write an importer against the c-api or
likely even in guile still although I haven't heard anyone using the
latter in recent years.

I know there are also external applications/tools that support the
gnucash datafile format to some extent. Since I haven't tried any of
those I won't recommend any. I can't tell how complete their support is.
Use them at your own risk.

Regards,

Geert