Installing Gnucash 2.6 under Windows XP

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat May 9 02:51:42 EDT 2015

On Saturday 09 May 2015 00:07:33 Santhosh Paul wrote:
> Gnucashers,
>
>        In a previous episode, I'd asked here about version 2.4.0 under
> XP, which is the one I'm running, and the upshot was that I can
> safely upgrade it to version 2.6.
>
>        Version 2.4.0 is currently installed in my system drive, C:,
> and I want to install 2.6 in drive E. In fact, I'd like to move my
> Gnucash installation to drive E: to save space in the system drive.
>
>          So, how does the update process go? Should I uninstall the
> older version first? Or will 2.6 detect the older installation and
> update it automatically? But then how do I move the installation
> process to E: drive?

I haven't tried, but considering how the installer works I believe you
can simply install 2.6.6. The installer will ask you where you want to
install it (to which you tell it on the E: drive). And at the same time
it will detect there is already another version of gnucash installed and
will ask to remove it. It shouldn't matter it's installed on a different
drive. It is detected based on register keys if I'm correct.

Note that this will not move your personal files nor the .gnucash
directory (which contains some metadata and saved reports).

Regards,

Geert