Cannot determine where files are saved.

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Sun May 10 12:43:29 EDT 2015

On 05/10/2015 12:25 PM, Richard Barmann wrote:

> On 05/10/2015 12:13 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>>> On May 10, 2015, at 7:46 AM, Richard Barmann
>>> <dick at stripingthetown.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> When I open Gnucash I get file not found. I have to search for the
>>> .gnucash file. Why does it not find and open the last file?
>>> Thank you.
>> How are you opening GnuCash and on what operating system?
>> I am using Xfce bacause I cannot get Kubuntu to install. I go to
>> Office.Gnucash to open and it points to the correct path. I find now
>> if I click on open anyway it wi open Gnucash with the correct file.
> Dick
>> The “not found” dialog box gives the path that it can’t find. Is that
>> path correct? If not, was it at some point?
>> After dismissing the dialog box, look at the “recently used” list at
>> the bottom of the File menu. Is the file that it can’t find on the
>> list? Does clicking on it open it?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
How are you doing, Richard.  It looks like you clicked reply and forgot
to type new text.  We only see quoted text in your message. Please keep
in mind that the next times is the text that is typed to the far left
that doesn't have quote marks which is either ">" or "|" marks depending
on the email client we are using.

Any way, you're right in your original message where you thought it
would pull up the last file.  That is the way it works.  As far as I
know it works this way regardless of the OS or version.  So it's the
last file that you had opened that it apparently can't find.  Based on
the error you described, the last file most have been moved.

You can, however use the file option and try to bring up some of the
other recent files that you had used.  You'll see them in a numbered
list when you click on file.  The lowest number will bee the more recent.

You can also click on File -> Open and browse to were you have other
copies of your data file saved.  It'll be files that have .gnucash as
the extension.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James