What do you do with old uncleared transactions?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 10:15:25 EDT 2015

On 5/12/2015 11:55 PM, Alice Lee wrote:
> Instead of voiding the transaction, you should reverse the transaction in
> the current period.  Then you can clear both transactions because they
> offset one another.  If you void a transaction that is several years old,
> you change the balance for all succeeding periods so that reports that you
> have run will not have the correct balance.

Alice,

You make a very interesting point.  Wouldn't that be important only if
you use accrual accounting?

I tried using that tool last week and it did not give me an opportunity
to select a date.  In fact, for a time I thought that it did not work.
Later I found it under today's date.  There was also no opportunity to
give it a transaction number or reference to help find the source
transaction later, when it might matter for the accounting trail.  FYI.

David C