Problems Running gnuCash in Mint 17.2

Pluto Crat plutocrat at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 20:40:38 EST 2015

On Tuesday, 03 November, 2015 01:30 AM, iconit at comcast.net wrote:
> When I upgraded to Linux Mint 17.x I went to the 64 bit version of the OS. Every since then I have had problems with gnuCash. The two biggest problems have been that 1) the program runs real slow and
I'm running Gnucash on 64 bit Linux Mint 17.1 and .2 and no problems
here. Could it be something else? Do you have a massive data file?
Display driver problems? Stabbing in the dark a bit ... but I can
confirm that the OS isn't the problem per se.
> 2) resizing the columns in the accounts is next to impossible, I have somehow hidden the Withdrawal column in the Checking Account and can't unhide it and the Description column takes up about half the width of the screen.
Resizing seems easy enough -- click and drag -- but I do see that the
Description field seems to be fixed at a certain minimum width, which is
possibly a bit wide on small screens. Perhaps this information is held
in a preferences file somewhere, which could be edited to bring back
your Withdrawal column. I'll defer to others on this forum for advice on
that.
> The Software Manager Linux offers only install gnuCash 2.6.1 so that is what I am using.

Not sure if it will solve your problem, but if you use the getdeb
repositories, you'll be able to get the latest version.
http://www.getdeb.net/app/Gnucash
If you decide to try this note
a) You'll need to keep a backup of your accounts file, as loading it in
the newer version of Gnucash will alter its structure: you can't open it
in 2.6.1 after this has happened.
b) You'll be installing for Ubuntu 14.4 which is what Mint 17.x is based
on.