Having 2 Descriptions Per Transaction

Bilb766 the_brain888 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 5 18:20:35 EST 2015

I have transactions from different accounts that I would like to link
together, but would prefer to have 2 different names/descriptions for these
transactions.

The problem is this: I have a chequing and savings account.  I import the
transaction details from my bank for both accounts.

For one transaction going from chequing to savings, the chequing account
statement give this transaction description of "To Savings", while the
savings account statement calls this transaction "from Chequing."  When I
import transaction data into GnuCash, I use the transaction wizard which
detects the "duplicate" transaction and match them.  So far so good.  But
GnuCash retains the transaction description of whichever account data I
import last.

In the above example, if I import my chequing statement first, GnuCash calls
that transaction  "To Savings" as per the chequing statement.  Then I import
my savings statement.  I go through the import wizard and match the
accompanying transaction.  After I do that, that transaction description
uses the savings account description and becomes "from Chequing".

The problem is that, when I view the transactions in my Chequing account, I
have all these transactions called "from Chequing" which is not very
informative.  Is there a way for a single transaction to keep have 2
different descriptions/names?