Help : gnucash won't start

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 08:34:40 EST 2015

On 11/6/2015 5:38 AM, Derrick Hudson wrote:
> As a guess, it could be the issue with guile's bytecode cache.
>
> Here is the notice from the current release notes:
> ----- -----
> Important update notification
>
> If you are updating from gnucash 2.6.0-2.6.4 on linux, you are advised to remove the guile user cache or several parts of gnucash may fail to work properly. This user cache can be found in .cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/ in your home directory. It's safe to remove the whole contents of this directory.
>
> Note .cache is a hidden folder in your home directory. You may have to change your file manager's settings in order to view hidden files and folders.
> ----- -----
>
> -Derrick
>

> On November 5, 2015 5:39:57 PM EST, kevin <kevnoutsawo at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> Hi ! I've been using gnucash for about 8 months now. Recently I had
>> problems with my linux desktop. It wasn't starting the GUI . I then
>> decided to switch from lightdm to gdm. Therefore , I recovered the GUI
>> when I started gnucash I showed the tips window and the splash screen
>> but after the splash screen the app suddenly and mysteriously stops//.
>> tried reinstalling it but it changed nothing . Now it shows only the
>> splash screen . I Have 7 desktop environments and in none of them will
>> gnucash start. I don't want to loose my data , nor do I wan't to go
>> back
>> to the painful and deceiving world of windows. Did anybody ever face
>> this ? Can someone provide a fix? I took a screenshot just in case it
>> can help? Thanks in advance . Regards , Kevin

Kevin,

Your data is kept in a data file that is separate from the program. You
should be able to use a file manager to find that file (with a filetype
identifier '.gnucash') in one or more of your user spaces and copy it to
a USB stick.  If you were using one of the database filetypes, the
rescue process is a little different.  Then try running GnuCash on a
different machine (even Windows machines would work for this experiment)
and opening that file.  If the data is there, you can now play at will
with your first machine without fear of losing your data.  This should
still work even if you are experiencing the guile issue mentioned by
Derrick.

Note that there are certain things such as custom report settings that
are not stored in the data file, and those may still be lost, but all
data is in the data file.

David C