new year

elvis elvis at dogonfire.com
Mon Nov 9 01:09:15 EST 2015

You really don't need to close the accounts.

I came from an accounting background and wasn't sure about it at first
but once you get used to it, you won't go back.

If you think about it, the reason people closed off the accounts was
because they used paper and can't have an infinitely large actual book.
Not a problem with computers.

If you want a copy as of a date, burn a CD. Then you have an unchangable
record.

If you need information as it a specific date, run a report, eg a
balance sheet etc. You can even run a multi - year profit and loss to
see how you have done over years, try that with a separate file for each
year :-)

And for example, if I want to see how much a car has cost me in repairs
over the last five years, I just look at the account and it is all there.

Accounting information is meant to be there to help the business, not
force it to bend to the way of the accounting program :-)

Give it a go, you might be surprised!

On 09/11/15 12:06, Gary Holtum wrote:
>>> BTW, you probably meant "in all but expense AND income accounts".<<
> You are correct. That is what I meant. Thanks for the correction.
>
> I guess "close the books" does nothing about migrating balances to new year
> accounts. I will have to do things differently or find another program.
> Gary

Warning: Do not look at laser with remaining eye.