new year

Katie Eldridge eldridgetideswell-katie at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 9 04:46:59 EST 2015

Gary,
Michael referred to Gnucash having a method to do this, but didn't
explain how...
If you go to 'tools' -> 'close book', this will move the 'retained
earnings' balance to the equity account you specify and zero out all the
income and expense accounts, so whilst you will still have the same file
(and therefore keep all your client and vendor details etc), all the
totals on your accounts page will be for the current year.
Whilst I can follow the logic for not doing this, I also couldn't see
how I could easily keep track of our taxed profits (ie the amount which
we'd paid corporation tax on already) without moving the year's profits
to an account from which I could then take the tax...
hope that helps,
Katie