Toolbar buttons suddenly disabled

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 15:02:18 EST 2015

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 11:04 PM, AC <gnucash at acarver.net> wrote:

> Ok, running 2.6.3, no major issues until now.  I usually leave it up and
> running so I can avoid the startup delay and add entries as needed.
> However, very recently (within the past couple weeks) all the toolbar
> buttons would suddenly gray out and become disabled.  I was able to
> switch from account to account using the tabs but I could not enter
> transactions, open splits, or do anything else.  It looked like the
> identical menu options had become disabled, too.
>
> I have to shut down and restart GC to bring back the buttons.
>
> No recent changes to the computer (in fact the computer hasn't been
> rebooted in several months).

What operating system are you running?

My Ubuntu 14.04 LTS systems have had several important security and bugfix
updates in the past several weeks, a few of which affected the kernel so
they required rebooting to install. If your system running GnuCash is
connected to the Internet you will want to be sure it has had all its
security updates and fixes applied, and rebooted if necessary to finish.

That wouldn't necessarily explain the menus disappearing, but it's worth
considering.

Also, why GnuCash 2.6.3? It was a fine release, but several important bugs
have been fixed in more recent releases. Again it wouldn't necessarily
explain your menu issues, but an update might be the first thing to try.