Reconcile window opens invisible on El Capitan

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Nov 17 10:35:22 EST 2015

> On Nov 17, 2015, at 4:33 AM, David Bergum <dib at red-sky.us> wrote:

>>> If I reposition them independently, the reconcile window remains out of view.  It is only when I move the group to my external display — which is oriented above my builtin display — that I can get the reconcile window to snap into view.
>>
>> I don’t understand. It seems like you’re saying that once you have made it visible if you grab the reconcile window to drag it it disappears. Can that be right?
>
> No, sorry for not being clear.  When the reconcile window is invis and I just reposition it, When I leave mission control, it is still invisible.  I have to move the windows as a set to my secondary (upper) display, and then it becomes visible, having been repositioned to the upper left corner of the accounts window.
>
> I normally have the accounts window on my primary display.
>
> If I move the accounts window to my secondary display, and then open reconcile, it is visible and positioned at the upper left of the accounts display.
>
> I can only reposition them as a pair in mission control, so what I said about independent repositioning of the reconcile window was wrong.
>
> It might be the alignment of my primary and secondary displays triggering the issue?
>
> I just wanted to mention it, because it can be quite mysterious when the reconcile window doesn't appear, one might not know to go to mission control to get it back onto the visible space.

I just tested on my MBA which is running ElCap but has only one monitor. I suspect that you’re talking about the Reconcile Info dialog box, the one that collects the statement date and ending balance. In Mission Control I see that that’s grouped with the main window for moving but the actual Reconcile window doesn't, being a separate window.

Since we don’t call set_transient_for() on our dialogs, Gtk puts them at monitor coordinates 0,0. I wonder if those coordinates might be off-screen in your case: You said “upper” monitor, suggesting that your secondary is positioned on top of your primary in Display Settings>Layout (from memory, I’m on my MBA right now). Perhaps your secondary is wider than your primary so the upper left corner of the primary isn’t 0,0. If that sounds plausible to you, try changing the monitor layout so that they’re side-by-side and see if that makes the dialog box visible without repositioning it.

Regards,
John Ralls