reporting, again aka python for people (was: History Quotes)

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 20 16:58:39 EST 2015

Wed, 18 Nov 2015 06:45:11
<CAB2pxDtda8MKvy98dGboq=FQ67PeTXZahWHDCtQ=CmxGHAMZfg at mail.gmail.com>
Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com> wrote...

>On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Wm... <tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:

>> Sat, 14 Nov 2015 09:25:14 <CAB2pxDszjd=
>> 8paSWti5OjXKwZxK_99j8Mod6P9bHpX5P_29fJg at mail.gmail.com>
>> Sébastien de Menten <sdementen at gmail.com> wrote...
>>
>> Wm:
>> > P.S. Sebastien: I've been meaning to get around to writing to you
> > about piecash and pandas and reporting because I'm seeing lots of
> > potential there, but that is another thread.
>
> [same thread, change of Subject, if it is new or not depends on your
> threading model]
>
> P.S. Wm : I was just thinking on working a bit today on exactly this !
> Pandas would be a boon as base for some reporting/charting once we can
get
> the account/transaction info combined/joined with the price info.

piecash 0.10 has been just released with the ability to get all
transactions/splits and prices into neat pandas DataFrames.

I will try it this weekend with interest.

You can see an example of a usage of these dataframes to do basic
reporting
here :
https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/sdementen/piecash/blob/master/example
s/ipython/piecash_dataframes.ipynb

That is looking wonderful, Sebastien, I am *very* impressed.  You've
obviously put a lot of work in to only use the imports you have.

One Q while it is on my mind, why plotly rather than matplotlib ? <--
not a crit, a query, may become obvious when I try piecash latest myself

I put the piecash google groups in CC so that further discussions
specific
to piecash can be held there instead of on the gnucash ML.

I'm not sure they should really be separated, it is just the writing
that is argued about, everything else is good for all, surely? :)

--
Wm...