dealing with two accounts in different currencies

Miguel Negrão miguel.negrao-lists at friendlyvirus.org
Mon Nov 23 07:29:50 EST 2015

Hi

I would like to know the best way to achieve the following in gnu-cash: I
have two accounts one in EUR, another in GBP. I transfer euros from the euro
account to the GBP account, from time to time, and then I spend the pounds
in expenses. I would like that the cash flow reports, report the pounds
spent, in euros. This is automatically done by the report, but it will use
the latest exchange rate between GBP and EUR, this is not what I want. I
would also like that each expense in pounds is calculated into euros at the
exchange rate which can be calculated from the transfer from the EUR account
to the GBP account whose date is immediately preceding the date of that expense.

transfer 150eur receive 100gbp, current exchange rate 1,5
spend 50 pounds -> calculated as 75eur at exchange rate 1,5
spend 50pounds -> calculated as 75eur at exchange rate 1,5
transfer 200eur receive 100gbp, current exchange rate 2
spend 50 pounds -> calculated as 100eur at exchange rate 2
spend 50pounds -> calculated as 100eur at exchange rate 2
total expenses = 75+75+100+100 = 350eur

It seems the price editor is not useful for this as the reports will use
only the latest exchange rate, and will not take into account previous
exchange rates entered into the list. It seems to me that my only option is
to make each transaction of the GBP account into expense accounts which are
in euros, and for each transaction enter the exact exchange rate which is
relative to that transaction. This is quite a bit of work. Is there any
other way ?

Thank you for such a nice software,
Miguel Negrão