Unrealised Losses

Peter p.hoban at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 29 18:44:17 EST 2015

   Message: 11 Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 03:31:59 +0000 From: "Wm..."
   [1]<tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk> To: [2]gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
   Subject: Re: Unrealised losses Message-ID:

     [1] just to separate out this point in case someone else is
     following. It is unclear to me if P is trying to get an existing
     Unrealised Loss into a GnuCash book (in which case Equity would seem
     the sensible route) or if 2.6.1 has an Unrealised Loss on the
     Balance Sheet which has got lost (arf!) in development, in which
     case where did it come from as I think in 2.6.9 it would be called
     Retained Losses. I'm not sure if we are at version cross-purposes or
     not.

   Thanks Wm.  I have been away for several days - not ignoring the
   question, but unable to address it.
   I don't think we are at cross-purposes.  I started keeping accounts on
   a spreadsheet and only went onto GnuCash about 4 years ago.  I
   continued to keep the spreadsheet but found I had many more errors
   there than with the double-entry GnuCash, so I came to use the
   spreadsheet to help me conceptualise.  I don't know how I managed to
   get previous years accounts to reconcile and I don't have time to
   explore that now, all I do know is that GnuCash 2.6.1 produces the
   following on my balance sheet: (copy & paste)
   Liabilities
   Liabilities                  $0.00
   Total Liabilities                  $0.00
   Equity
   Unrealised gains                  $0.00
   Opening balances                  $1,534,171.37
   Retained Earnings                  $14,433.67
   Unrealized Gains                  $1,009.14
   Total Equity                  $1,549,614.18
   Total Liabilities & Equity                  $1,549,614.18
   My problem is that I have been unable to understand how the Unrealised
   Gains figure was derived.  I tried entering revaluations manually but
   the software wants to treat the entry as a purchase or sale of shares
   which it is not.
   If I should update my software I would need a source.  The version I am
   currently using is the latest in the repository.
   Thanks for your thoughts.  P