Cash and Carry Retail activities

Robert Menschel GnuCash at Menschel.net
Thu Nov 26 02:10:32 EST 2015

New user warning: I've searched the documentation I downloaded this
week, and I've done a Google search of the mailing list archives, and
cannot find an answer to this question.  If it has been asked and
answered before, or if I've missed it in the documentation, please excuse.

I understand the Accounts Receivable setup used in GnuCash, and it's
very workable for sales where we send out an invoice and get payment
some time later.

But when we sell something through the Internet (payment by credit card
or PayPal), we effectively receive payment immediately. There is no
receivable from the customer.  We should be able to post the Payment
from a Customer as a transaction posting to an Income account (Sales
Revenue) and an Asset account (PayPal), without any reference to an
invoice.

Is there a method of doing so?

Alternately, I've seen systems where entry of such a transaction will
automatically create an invoice based on the entered transaction.
Effectively the transaction we would enter (Revenue to PayPal) would be
automatically split into two transactions: Revenue to Customer A/R, and
Customer A/R to PayPal. Is that available if a direct posting is not?

Thank you for any and all guidance.

Robert Menschel