Transfer between personal & business accounting question

Matt Kowske jmk at cmail.nu
Thu Nov 26 09:01:43 EST 2015

This is a general accounting question on how to properly enter a
transaction like this.

I have two gnucash files I maintain. One for personal and one for an
LLC. The LLC is at a point where it needs more funds to purchase a
property, so owners are transferring some of their personal money into
the business account to make a down payment with.

On the business side I will enter this as Equity:Member A:Contributions,
right? Or should this be a liability? On the personal side how should I
account for this? Let's say I'm putting 5,000 of my personal money into
the business. In my personal GnuCash file would this be Asset:Business
Equity or Equity:Business?