Issue downloading transactions from Chase

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Thu Nov 26 13:34:47 EST 2015

> On Nov 26, 2015, at 11:19 AM, Matt Kowske <jmk at cmail.nu> wrote:
>
> On 11/26/2015 09:19 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>>> On Nov 26, 2015, at 5:04 AM, Matt Kowske <jmk at cmail.nu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have a Chase credit card that I have hooked up via AQBanking to d/l
>>> transactions to GnuCash and it has been working no problem for a long
>>> time. I recently received an e-mail informing me:
>>>
>>> /
>>> / /*"The first time you access your accounts after November 25*// using
>>> Personal Financial Management (PFM) software such as Quicken//®// or
>>> QuickBooks//®// we will ask you to confirm your identity. //
>>> //
>>> //We'll send instructions to your Chase Online//SM// //Inbox in the
>>> Secure Message Center upon login to your PFM software. You will need to
>>> sign in to chase.com on your computer to view the instructions and
>>> complete the steps."/
>>>
>>> When I try to d/l transactions in GnuCash, the login fails now:
>>>
>>> Status for signon request: Code 15510, severity "ERROR"
>>> Status for transaction statement request: Signon invalid (Code 15500,
>>> severity "ERROR")
>>> The user cannot signon because he or she entered an invalid user ID or
>>> password.
>>>
>>> So, does anyone know how I might "confirm my identify" with GnuCash? I
>>> can find nothing on their website as to how to do this... I will contact
>>> Chase support as well.
>> Is there access to the “secure message center” from the website? The email implies that the access is from within the financial software and GnuCash doesn’t have that capability.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
> Yes, but that message is sent only after connecting with Quicken/MS
> Money. I don't have that message yet in my Secure Messsage Center
> because I don't have the software to connect with.

The ofx.log for my attempt to download Chase transactions includes:

<OFX><SIGNONMSGSRSV1><SONRS><STATUS><CODE>15510<SEVERITY>ERROR
<MESSAGE>Please verify your identity within the next 7 days.
Using your desktop computer, go to your bankís website and
visit the Secure Message Center for instructions.</STATUS>
<DTSERVER>20151126132101.390[-5:EST]<LANGUAGE>ENG<FI><ORG>B1<FID>10898</FI></SONRS>
</SIGNONMSGSRSV1><CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1><CCSTMTTRNRS>
<TRNUID>20151126132057.000<STATUS><CODE>15500<SEVERITY>ERROR</STATUS>
<CLTCOOKIE>1</CCSTMTTRNRS></CREDITCARDMSGSRSV1></OFX>

which suggests that the ID verification email trigger was tripped by the GnuCash connection. That Chase doesn’t have the mentioned message in my secure message center suggests that Chase picked a really stupid day to flip the switch on a security “enhancement”. The language of the message “go to your bank’s website” suggests that Chase may have subcontracted their online OFX/QFX connection management. OTOH, since Chase kept Bank One’s QFX infrastructure after they bought Bank One, it’s hard to tell what their scope or intent are.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com