Transfer between personal & business accounting question

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Nov 27 13:39:09 EST 2015

> On Nov 26, 2015, at 6:02 PM, Matt Kowske <jmk at cmail.nu> wrote:

>>> Assuming that you each kicked in $5000 to start the company, the
>>> Member X Equity account is equivalent to paid-in capital. You can call
>>> it whatever you want, they’re your books.
>>>
>>> I don’t know what a contribution in equity would be if not also
>>> equivalent to paid-in capital. If distributions has the usual meaning
>>> it’s generally a reduction in partner’s equity and unless you’re
>>> winding up the company comes from retained earnings — for which you
>>> should have an account.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>>

>> This brings up another question I am a little confused about. I don't
>> have a "retained earnings" account as what I have understood from the
>> GnuCash docs (http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Closing_Books) that closing
>> the books and having a retained earnings account is not needed, since
>> that value is automatically calculated on the balance sheet.
>>
>> Given that this is the first year of business I would like to make sure
>> I handle this correctly as the year comes to an end so any feedback is
>> appreciated, thanks.
> I would still be interested in your method, but I dug up an old thread
> (from myself!) in which we discussed this at length, so feel free to
> disregard..
>
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2015-February/058701.html

>From that thread see in particular Buddha Buck’s discourse in https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2015-February/058784.html. I guess that you’re following his suggestion to use Equity:Member X:Distributions and not closing the books each year.

I found it easier to make understandable reports to my partners by closing the book to an actual retained earnings account. My LLC, which we just wound up, was part of a trust estate so we couldn’t alter the equity shares, so keeping track of equity per-partner wasn’t a concern. On reflection I see that GnuCash’s Close Books function won’t work well in your case where the owner’s equity needs to be tracked separately for each partner. Avoiding that particular headache is one reason why larger corporations have shares.

Regards,
John Ralls