Transfer between personal & business accounting question

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 07:21:58 EST 2015

Thu, 26 Nov 2015 20:02:36 <5657B9BC.1040506 at cmail.nu>
Matt Kowske <jmk at cmail.nu> wrote...

A:Contributions,
Asset:Business
accordingly and consider getting professional advice:

the money. If they voted to increase their capital ownership of the
partnership then record it as equity. If they decided that it’s loans
then record it as a liability. In the former case there should be a
resolution in the corporation’s minutes; in the latter, a loan
contract between each partner and the manager/managing partner stating
the terms of the loan: Amount, interest, term, repayment, etc.

“paid-in capital” rather than “contributions”. I’d do it as
Equity:Paid-in Capital:PartnerX rather than Equity:PartnerX:Paid-in
Capital.

altering the ownership portions of each partner if the ratios of the
transfers are different from the previous ownership ratios. That should
be spelled out in the resolution. Loans have no such constraint.

Assets:Loans:OurLLC depending upon whether the LLC treats the money as
an increase in partners’ equity or as a loan.

>>> Thanks this is really helpful in my understanding. I will treat them
>>> as loans for now. One question on the different equity accounts.
>>> Right now I have:
>>>
>>> LLC Equity:Member A:Member A Contributions = $0
>>> LLC Equity:Member A:Member A Distributions = $0
>>> LLC Equity:Member A:Member A Equity = $5,000
>>>
>>> LLC Equity:Member A:Member B Contributions = $0
>>> LLC Equity:Member A:Member B Distributions = $0
>>> LLC Equity:Member A:Member B Equity = $5,000
>>>
>>> This is from when the LLC was setup as 50/50 ownership, 5000 for
each
>>> member as initial equity. If we were to contribute an additional
2500
>>> each to increase the member equity, retaining the same 50/50 ratio
>>> then, you are saying it should go into an account called "Member
>>> A:Paid-in Capital" (or "Paid in Capital:Member A") or would I just
>>> rename the "Member A Equity" account to be "Member A Paid-In
Capital"?

>>> Said another way, is the equity account I have already equivalent to
>>> your "paid-in capital" suggestion or would that be separated, like
>>> "Contributions"?
>>>
>> Assuming that you each kicked in $5000 to start the company, the
>> Member X Equity account is equivalent to paid-in capital. You can
call
>> it whatever you want, they’re your books.
>>
>> I don’t know what a contribution in equity would be if not also
>> equivalent to paid-in capital. If distributions has the usual meaning
>> it’s generally a reduction in partner’s equity and unless you’re
>> winding up the company comes from retained earnings — for which you
>> should have an account.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

> This brings up another question I am a little confused about. I don't
> have a "retained earnings" account as what I have understood from the
> GnuCash docs (http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Closing_Books) that closing
> the books and having a retained earnings account is not needed, since
> that value is automatically calculated on the balance sheet.
>
> Given that this is the first year of business I would like to make
sure
> I handle this correctly as the year comes to an end so any feedback is
> appreciated, thanks.
I would still be interested in your method, but I dug up an old thread
(from myself!) in which we discussed this at length, so feel free to
disregard..

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2015-February/058701.htm

Thanks for the reminder.

It works like this: we can tell you what the ways to do stuff are but we
are *not* *ever* going to give you actual accounting advice specific to
your jurisdiction.  The world's tax and rule stuff is just too weird and
location specific for anyone to know it all.  GnuCash gives you good
tools (double entry accounting that works), how you wield them is,
ultimately, up to you.

You've been given a number of ways of dealing with this in the previous
thread and this one.  No person in their right mind will say
unconditionally "do it this way" or "do it that way" unless you pay
them.

GnuCash has a donation facility and awaits your payment ... but I still
don't think that'll buy you advice.

Anyway, there is a really simple way to sort this out.

How much has each person put in and when?
How much has each person taken out and when?

Those are, I think, your main equity events and you should be able to
sort them out with the other person over a liquid of some sort.

I'm in London, UK and I choose tea, milk, without.

MattK, equity in a small or start up business can be difficult.  We can
tell you how to account for stuff but not how to value, for example, how
much time one person has put in versus another.

Best wishes.

--
Wm...