Check & repair - many trading account imbalances

Wm... tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 07:59:09 EST 2015

Thu, 26 Nov 2015 18:30:32 <1448591432576-4681686.post at n4.nabble.com>
kyomar <markus1611 at gmail.com> wrote...

>Thanks a lot John for your prompt reply - much appreciated. I have tried your
>well described suggestion (didn't know about right click and edit exchange
>rate - always learning) but it doesn't work (entered correct amount). It
>always comes back to the same result. I noticed that the exchange rates
>shown in the edit window are totally wrong i.e.:
>1 JPY = 82.576.. AUD
>1 AUD =  0.012.. JPY
>but it should be the other way around:
>1 JPY = 0.012.. AUD
>1 AUD =  82.576.. JPY

There is an apparent upside down currency bug that'll be fixed Real Soon
Now.  But, it should only affect values grabbed from the prices table
rather than actual transactions (the transaction value is prime).  In
plain words, if you tell GnuCash what the exchange rate is rather than
accepting the rate offered all should be well.

>I have checked the fraction setting in currency JPY and it's correct 1/1.
>Could it be that the autofill function messes things up? How can I delete
>the autofill memory/cache? Or are there any other solutions to solve this
>problem, which haunts me already for quite a while (always having problems
>with transactions involving foreign currencies).

Not sure about autofill ghosts, I don't have those dreams here in London
:) Thing to remember is that the details of a transaction are real, that
means a number of JPY and AUD on a day produce a rate, you (or most
people) want real values for that.  The value of the JPY or AUD *post*
the actual event is what reporting is for.

>Thanks a lot for your valuable time and help,
>Markus

P.S. I'm a bit confused about the multiple decimals.  AUD works the same
as USD, EUR, GBP and most major currencies but you've got extra spots.
Maybe it is just my anglo saxon view of your message and other people
see something else?

--
Wm...