Spending less time entering transactions, tips?

jmk jmk at cmail.nu
Sat Nov 28 08:41:41 EST 2015

I have recently taken on responsibility for several more personal
finance accounts that I'll be tracking in GnuCash (I got married -- one
of the perks I suppose ha ha). I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce
the time I spend in the program entering/correcting transactions. In
other unnamed pieces of software I've used in the past downloaded
transactions could be "trained" to automatically match a payee name and
then change the description text and category appropriately. As far as I
can tell gnc uses Bayesian matching of previous transactions to
determine the account to assign to, but you still need to go through
each transaction and correct the description if you don't like the
downloaded name.

e.g. downloaded transaction: THE FOOD SHOPPE RETAIL STORE #043

I would have to correct this to "The Food
assignment right (doesn't always work). It would be great if it would
just auto match this description and correct it for me. I don't think
this exists in GnuCash (or does it?) but I wanted to ask if there are
any user scripts or something that could assist with this. Thanks!