Spending less time entering transactions, tips?

elvis elvis at dogonfire.com
Sat Nov 28 09:36:21 EST 2015

Hi Jmk,

I have a script that matches transaction descriptions and changes them
to what you want.

It can also add in Australian GST or I guess VAT if needed. I've never
seen a good way of inputting this in Gnucash, I wonder how other people
do it without going insane.

It operates on a qif file.

If you want I can post it or a link to it.

Cheers

On 28/11/15 23:41, jmk wrote:
> I have recently taken on responsibility for several more personal
> finance accounts that I'll be tracking in GnuCash (I got married -- one
> of the perks I suppose ha ha). I'm trying to figure out ways to reduce
> the time I spend in the program entering/correcting transactions. In
> other unnamed pieces of software I've used in the past downloaded
> transactions could be "trained" to automatically match a payee name and
> then change the description text and category appropriately. As far as I
> can tell gnc uses Bayesian matching of previous transactions to
> determine the account to assign to, but you still need to go through
> each transaction and correct the description if you don't like the
> downloaded name.
>
> e.g. downloaded transaction: THE FOOD SHOPPE RETAIL STORE #043
>
> I would have to correct this to "The Food
> assignment right (doesn't always work). It would be great if it would
> just auto match this description and correct it for me. I don't think
> this exists in GnuCash (or does it?) but I wanted to ask if there are
> any user scripts or something that could assist with this. Thanks!

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.