Check & repair - many trading account imbalances

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Nov 28 11:52:04 EST 2015

> On Nov 28, 2015, at 2:35 AM, kyomar <markus1611 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Did you fix the rate in the Transfer Dialog (that’s the name of the dialog
> that comes up when you click “edit exchange rate”)?
> Yes
>> Yes, it’s quite possible that autofill messes things up, but you should be
>> able to un-mess them as long as you don’t let
>> GnuCash create the trading splits until you’ve got the other splits
>> correct.
> The other splits (AUD 735.97 and JPY 60,774) are correct and it still messes
> things up in the trading accounts.
>
>> Try using 735.97 in both splits after deleting the trading splits. Edit
>> the exchange rate, select the amount radio button, and
>> set 60774 in the amount edit. That’s the way you’d do the transaction
>> without trading accounts.
> I did all this with the same wrong messed up result.
>
>> I thought that just having trading accounts enabled flipped the logic so
>> that you enter the JPY amount in the JPY split, but
>> perhaps I’m mistaken.
> Sorry, cannot follow you on this one.
>
> Something is definitely wrong in mothers kitchen. I am a bit frustrated that
> I am still not able to fix this problem - and all other foreign currency
> related ones - and I honestly believe that it's not the user (me) who messes
> things up. I mean all I can do is entering the correct amounts and gnucash
> should register it that way, which apparently it doesn't. Are there any
> other people using trading accounts? Wm.. wrote about a bug which should be
> soon fixed (thanks for your response Wm..). But this doesn't help me as
> debian 8 won't have it in the repos for quite a while or I have to change to
> testing, which I would like to avoid. I somehow still feel that there is
> something wrong with autofill.
>
> I don't wanna give up again yet. I really need/want to fix this mess and
> perhaps it will help other users in the future as well.

OK, then I remembered correctly about trading accounts.

Delete the imbalance split and the trading accounts splits.
Change the amount in the JPY split to 60774 and tab out to get the Transfer Dialog, select the amount radio button and set the amount to 735.97.
Click OK to close the Transfer Dialog and hit Enter to commit the transaction.

That worked for me just now on 2.6.4, though it didn’t on 2.6.9, where only deleting the transaction and starting over in basic view got it right.

I’ll go test with maint to make sure it will work correctly in 2.6.10.

Regards,
John Ralls